Sunday, February 12, 2012

Leo's latest toys


Nice books

Leo showed me his two new books. As I flipped through them, I felt pangs of envy.  I could easily sit down on a cold winter afternoon with a pot of coffee and read either of these. They have lots of pictures (my favorite type of book), and the text is well written (easy to understand).  They can both be purchased  through the EAA. Click on the following link for more information:


New toy tool, (oops).

Leo bought this, and since I also have one, I wanted to put in a plug for this neat tool. If you have any power sanders (belt sander, spindle, disk, etc.) then you need on of these. It looks and feels like a large pencil eraser, but it removes "stuff" from the sandpaper when it gets clogged. It works like magic.  


Here is how you use it.

Yes, it is as simple as it looks. You just press it against the moving sandpaper, and it magically removes the crud that has filled the valleys.  Below is a picture of a spindle sander that Leo cleaned.

Before

After

If you look closely at the before and after photos you will see that the bottom half is now almost new. This is typical. I have seen old belts restored (in about 5 or 10 seconds) to a brand new condition. This particular spindle had some white stuff at the top that was very stubborn and would not budge. So, as you can see the cleaner isn't perfect, but it normally does wonders. Leo and I can both testify to the usefulness of this device. Also, it lasts a long time. In fact, Leo said he bought it for use at home, but he is going to cut it in half and keep half at home and half at the glider project.

No comments:

Post a Comment