Sunday, April 22, 2012

Butt Ribs

First, I want to set the record straight. I asked around and found out the reason these ribs are called "butt ribs": they "butt" up against the fuselage. Hmm, I shoulda guessed. Oh well.

This photo shows the two butt ribs are coming along nicely. I included an old but rib from another similar Aeronca for comparision.

Closeup.

Note: I added the thin strip of wood to the photo that is applied to the top and bottom of the butt rib.

This is how the thin strip of wood is attached to the old butt rib. Note the slot for the spar.

Oops. someone made a notch for the thin wood strip. Not supposed to be there :-(

The good news is that Joe made a right and left butt rib, not two right ribs.

Even the tails of the ribs are made right and left.
BTW. I suppose that if Joe had made two right hand ribs, then we could have said that two rights make a wrong. Sorry, I couldn't resist . . .

Here Joe is filling the unwanted notches with wood strips. I like the clamps. My dad a pair of these, and when you need them (for an irregular shape), nothing else will do.

Closeup of Joe's handiwork.

Close up of old butt rib


Nice hole. 





No comments:

Post a Comment